BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Straight Leg Lock

Today was a small class in the afternoon, which is always fun. We worked a straight leg lock. When Fabio had shown the basic technique, he showed us a variation that was really cool. You place your wrist bone on the achilles, kind of like the blade of a knife, and as you go back to do the lock, you turn your wrist into the ankle.

It hurts. Lots.

I still haven't used leg locks very much in grappling. Not only do I just not think of them during rolling, but I am still a little apprehensive about using them because I don't want to accidentally hurt someone. Also, when I start using leg locks, the other person generally starts using them back. And that's bad news for me. I guess I should look at that as an opportunity to get better at escapes! ;)

2 comments:

The Part Time Grappler said...

Count yourself lucky that you are getting an early exposure to them. Learn them properly and perhaps let them rest in the back of your mind :p

slideyfoot said...

I don't like them either, and for similar reasons to you, I never use them in sparring.

Also like you, I'd be interested in knowing the defence, but I don't particularly want to know the attacks (though naturally that helps improve the defence, as you're better at seeing them coming). ;)

There was an error in this gadget