BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Importance of Instinct

I've been working on trying to make a certain move to escape side control work for a while. It's the running man escape. This is the basic idea. But Fabio teaches a few details differently.



First of all, the main difference between this video and what I am talking about is that I am on my side, kind of in a fetal position, with someone behind me. The other main differences are that, where Saulo leads off the escape with his top leg, Fabio tells us to lead off with the bottom leg, driving your hip far forward and keeping it on the mat. At the same time, you bring your bottom arm up under yourself like, using your elbow and your hip on the mat to prevent your opponent from getting his hook in as you do the escape. With your other arm, you reach around and to block them coming the other way.

I can attest that this escape works. But I have one problem. After I do this escape, I ALWAYS pause. I just stop in a sort of turtle position and the person I am fighting sprawls on top of me or tries to attack my turtle.

Which brings me to my point. I am learning that I can't pause to think about what is next. Sometimes I get so worried that I'll make a wrong move, that I will pause and end up giving my opponent the advantage.

I know most of you have heard this quote, "If you think, you are late; if you are late, you use strength; if you use strength, you tire; if you tire, you die..."

For me, being "late" means I am always on the defense. I need to let go ! Use my instincts more! I tell myself that before I grapple, but then somehow, I go back into the careful mode once I start grappling. Grrr....

2 comments:

Deborah Clem said...

All I can think is, "Yup, same here." My pauses are like small moments of destruction on my game.

Liam H Wandi said...

we're more likely to hesitate or pause when:

1. we don't know what lies ahead
2. we have too many options to choose from

To eliminate that, you need to venture down the avenues so you address #1 (thru familiarisation) and #2 (thru selection)

Example. Make a point to always pull guard after the running escape. This won't always work, but you will familiarize yourself with that avenue.

A couple months later (yes that long) switch to always attampting to double leg.

Then standing from turtle...etc.

When you have familirised yourself with potential scenarios and "wht-ifs" then it's time to anticipate and impose your preferences.

So if everytime you try to pull guard they spin to your back, stick an arm in that direction to block them and see what happens.

If everytime you attempt the double they try to sprawl on you, anticipate that and be ready to slip under them for a back take, or revert to the guard pull.

Thru familiarity, we hesitate less.