BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Move it!

The last few weeks have been some of the busiest and most productive weeks I've had in a long time, both in and outside of the gym. While the PanAms were going on, I was at a retreat called The Walk to Emmaus. It was a time for me to get re-centered and remember what is really important.

Since I've gotten back, my schedule has been a whirlwind. I have been training, and enjoying it thoroughly, but my brain has been so fried at the end of the night that I haven't had the energy or creativity to write anything.

Congratulations of all of my teammates who went to the Pans. Stephanie wrote a blogabout the results from our team. Congratulations to all of you out there who went as well. Wish I could have been there to see it all! :)

As far as grappling goes, I have been very, very tired lately because of how hectic my schedule has been. However, in class I decided not to let that be a factor. I have been trying to look at each grapple as a cardio work out and not think about how tired I am but instead just focus on moving. Fabio says "go" and I try to move until he calls "time". I'm not going like a crazy spaz. But I am trying to keep a constant flow of movement.

Its funny because there are some grapples where I sit down and think, "I've got nothing left. I'm not going to be able to move a lot this whole grapple." But then we go and my body can do a lot more than I expected. It's amazing what the human body can do with a little determination.

One bad habit that I am STILL trying to eliminate is going to my guard the moment I feel at all off balance. Instead of fighting for the top position, I just jump into some form of guard. That could cost me points in a tournament, depending on how it happens, because I am going from a top position to the bottom. The problem is I just really like to attack from guard. But I need to continue to push myself to grow.

5 comments:

SavageKitsune said...

One bad habit that I am STILL trying to eliminate is going to my guard the moment I feel at all off balance. Instead of fighting for the top position, I just jump into some form of guard. That could cost me points in a tournament, depending on how it happens, because I am going from a top position to the bottom.
----------------
I do that too. My teacher says, "Don't **EVER** voluntarily roll over on your back! Make them **WORK** to put you there every single time."

Georgette said...

I'm your opposite :) At least in a tournament, when I go to guard I know the world is coming to an end, and I have to fight the urge to tell someone "Go buy a lottery ticket!"

hugs :)

Megan said...

""I've got nothing left. I'm not going to be able to move a lot this whole grapple." But then we go and my body can do a lot more than I expected""

SOOO True...

Emily Lemos said...

You reminded me of one of my favorite sayings - "The mind quits long before the body does." I know I need to work on going for position. I have to suck up the fact that I'm going to get squashed a bunch of times while I learn how to get that top position. Okay, we'll be working on it together! :)

The Part Time Grappler said...

When you feel your balance go and you're just about to fall to guard, move about an arm's length away from your opponent.

this is something I experimented with about6-8 months ago. Once you do that (and circle them a little) you start developing a very nice scramble with much less effort!)

There was an error in this gadget